Do you need planning permission for a garden room?

Do you need planning permission for a garden room?

Rules you need to know about planning and whether you need permission
for your dream garden room, office or log cabin.

Technical Information

In most cases, garden rooms can be constructed without obtaining planning permission,
since they usually fall within permitted development criteria.

Our dens are generally under 2.5m with a flat roof so that we can utilise your garden space
by building within a metre of your property line.

If you have a sufficiently spacious garden and can build your den more than 2 metres from the boundary,
then you can build up to a maximum height of 4 metres to the top of the ridge.

A great way to make sure that you remain within the rules is to talk to your local planning department
about your plans. Our team is happy to assist you with this.

Building Regulations

Generally, building regulations will not apply to your outbuilding.
However, should you wish to use your den as a holiday rental or residence, you must comply with current regulations.
An inspector from the council checks that the building meets habitation standards.

The team at Meadow Garden Rooms are more than happy to assist you if you need
planning permission or building control and have a wealth of experience in the industry to ensure that no rules are broken.
Let’s discuss your plans so that we can guide you in the right direction.

The decision to have a garden room has been made.
You’ve found the design you want, worked out where it goes and are already looking forward to using it.
But before you buy, you need to check whether you need planning permission.
The size of the project, where it will be built, for what you plan to use it for, and where you live
all impact whether you will need planning permission.

Meadow garden rooms planning permission

Planning Permission

Rules governing outbuildings apply to sheds, playhouses, greenhouses and garages
as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as swimming pools,
ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures (including tennis courts) and many
other kinds of structure for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling/house.

Since 2002, the Planning Portal has helped to transform the planning process,
making information and services simpler and more accessible for those involved in the process,
be that applicants, agents or local authorities.
Use the link below for planning advice
Planning Portal

Garden room planning permission

Most garden rooms will not need planning permission.
They are classed as outbuildings.
You’re allowed to build one as long as you comply
with certain planning regulations.
If you have permitted development rights at your home or the area you live in.
You might not have permitted development rights if:

Your home is a listed building
Your home is in a designated area
(eg a National Park, area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB), conservation area or World Heritage Site)
Check with your local planning office if you’re not sure.

Flats and maisonettes do not have permitted development rights.
These rules are the same regardless if you live in
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.


Garden room planning rules

If you want to build a garden room using permitted development rules,
you’ll need to ensure it meets the following rules, wherever you live in the UK:

Your development is not in front of your home.
If your premise has been extended
then the front refers to how it stood on 1 July 1948.

The total area of all modifications, sheds and outbuildings – including your new outbuilding
must not be more than 50% of the total area of land around your house.
Again this is the area as it was on 1 July 1948.

The new development is single storey and no more than 3 metres high (4 metres with a dual-pitched roof).
The eaves are no more than 2.5 metres above ground level.
If it’s within 2 metres of your boundary, the maximum height is 2.5 metres.

It cannot have a balcony, veranda or raised area.
It is not to be used as self-contained living accommodation.

If you live in a National Park, the Broads, a World Heritage Site or an AONB
the maximum area of any outbuildings that are more than 20 metres from your house is 10 sqm.

In National Parks, the Broads, World Heritage Sites, AONBs and conservation areas
you’ll need to get planning permission if any part of your garden room
would sit between the side of your house and the boundary of your property.

If you live in a listed building, you need to have planning permission for any outbuilding.



Garden rooms and Building Regulations

Building Regulations are about how a structure is designed, built and insulated.
Having the right certificates is important, as they’ll be needed if you sell your house.
However Building Regulations don’t usually apply to outbuildings, as long as:
it’s not attached to your main home
the floor area is less than 15 sq m
it doesn’t include sleeping accommodation.
If the floor area is between 15 sqm and 30 sqm, you still don’t usually have to apply for Building Regulations approval,
as long as there’s no sleeping accommodation and it’s more than 1 metre from your boundary and is made of non-combustible materials.

It will need to comply with Building Regulations if you ever plan to sleep in it or use it as a guest bedroom.

Electrics in your garden room will need to comply with part P of the Building Regulations.
For example, if you have a separate consumer unit in your garden room
you’ll need to get a qualified electrician to connect it to your mains supply.
They will test that the system is safe and issue a certificate
showing that it meets the relevant Building Regulations. 


Garden room with bathroom

You may need planning permission for your proposed garden room
if you intend to use it for activities that you would usually do in your main home,
such as showering or cooking.
To have a cold water supply to your garden room you’ll need new plumbing installed.
This involves two sets of pipes – one to bring fresh water and one to remove waste water.
Fresh water will need a connection to your mains water in your house.
Your waste water pipe may be able to connect to an existing drain.
If this isn’t possible, you might need a pump to move the waste water to an outside drain.
If you’re hoping to have hot water, small hot-water heaters are an option.

Fitting a toilet will probably require a macerator to reduce waste to a pulp.
It will also need to be connected it to a soil pipe to take waste to the main sewer.